August 10 to 24, 2019

Prince Edward Island and Southeast New Brunswick
August 18, 2019

On August 18, 2019, the action will move to Rogersville and Beaubassin-est. Rogersville, known for its omnipresent Acadian pride and the caring nature of its residents, will organize a wide range of activities for the day, starting with a mass at the Notre-Dame de l’Assomption monument and an Acadian brunch. Children’s activities and craft booths will be on deck throughout the day. Known for its great bluegrass and country music festivals, Rogersville will live up to its reputation by capping off the day with musical performances featuring both local and guest musicians.

This day will also be celebrated in Beaubassin-est, a rural community made up of nine localities located on the Northumberland Strait. The community already has a full list of activities planned for August 18: the Grand Bazar-à-choix (artisanal fair), a community breakfast, an exhibit of hooked cushions and photos of “Du monde de par che nous”, and a jam with Les Jammers and Laurie LeBlanc, just to name a few!

About

The Beaubassin-est Rural Community
The name “Beaubassin” refers to an old Acadian establishment in the region dating back from 1672 to 1755. The Beaubassin-est Rural Community is an amalgamation of nine small communities: Boudreau-ouest, Grand Barachois (including Robichaud), Haute-Aboujagane, Cormier-Village, Saint-André-LeBlanc, Trois-Ruisseaux, Shemogue, Petit-Cap and Portage.

Boudreau-ouest: This community borders the Northumberland Strait, and its population doubles during the summer months because of the many people moving into the area’s cottages.

Grand-Barachois: The Barachois parish was established around 1789, and, back then, it included the entire region of Beaubassin-est and of Tédiche. The first church, now known as the Barachois Historic Church, was built around 1825. Today, the main activities in this community are fishing, agriculture, peat production and wood milling.

Haute-Aboujagane: Several historians say the name “Aboujagane” comes from an Aboriginal word meaning “a pearl necklace” since the road in the community goes in a circle. This town is located inside the Beaubassin-est Rural Community territory and is divided by a valley that has several natural attractions.

Cormier-Village: This community, established by the Belliveau, Cormier and Gallant families around the beginning of the 1800s, has also been called “Kissi-Biguet” or “Kagibougouète”, which are Aboriginal words. Today, this region is mostly residential, although there are some agriculture and livestock farms. In the last ten years, several families from Saint-Pierre and Miquelon have moved to this peaceful community.

Saint-André-Leblanc: Formerly called “Saint-André de Shédiac”, this town was established in 1837. Today, the main activities in this area are agriculture, silviculture and livestock rearing.

Portage, Trois-Ruisseaux, Petit-Cap and Shemogue: Today, the main activities in this region are fishing, fish processing and boat building. This region is located on the main highway leading to Prince Edward Island.

Region population: 6,376 residents
(According to the 2016 Census)